Thursday, January 12, 2012

Healthy Relationships Are A Two-Way Street

"She didn't even speak to me." "He walked right by be and wouldn't even look at me." Have you ever heard statements similar to these or even made such a comment? Throughout my lifetime of working with people, I would have to say, I have heard such remarks many times and I have a standard reply. That is, "Did you speak to them?" If it was not so pitiful, it would be funny. The fact is, there are many people who live in such a self-centered world. Yes, I said it; self-centered because they believe everyone should come to them, do for them, without returning anything. A relationship is not solo. It requires interaction between two. If a person always gives and never receives anything in return, that person will eventually give up on trying to maintain the relationship and search elsewhere for a friend. Healthy relationship are two-sided; a partnership of giving and receiving. Yes, relationships are a two-way street.

1 comment: