Monday, February 12, 2007

The Sword


When my middle child, Blake, was four years old, he became very sick with a persistent high fever. His blood count was out of balance, and the doctors were having a difficult time reaching a conclusive diagnosis. During this time, his temperature plummeted to 93 degrees putting him in a critical state. Warm i.v.'s were given to increase his temperature and many bags of antibiotics were administered. In a moment of delirium Blake called out for me and said, "Mom, I need to go to church because I have a message." I told him he was going to have to get better before he could go to church, but assured him his Dad would let him give his message. I then asked him what was his message? He began to tell me this - - "Mom, a sword can be used to cut or it can be used for celebration. The Word of God is a sword and we can use it to injure or to celebrate in a ceremony." I was, of course, amazed at the depth of his thought and knew that while he was delirious he actually felt God speak to him. It was obvious this huge thought came from God. This prompted me to think of Sis. Jane. (Influential People is a blog about her.) Sis. Jane always told me that I can find any type of story I wish to read in the Bible. If I want to read a murder, romance, or mystery, I can find it in the Word. Blood and guts or pomp and circumstance, it is all there. There are also stories of God speaking to and using children. The Word of God is amazing, awe-inspiring, and the map to salvation. I must add, Blake received healing and gave his message to the church.
READ MY COMMENTS FOR THE REST OF THE STORY.

8 comments:

  1. I know that you don't know me or who I am, but I live in Randlett, OK, and I attend Life Tabernacle Church in Wichita Falls. Bro. Elms is my Pastor. What an amazing story about your son. God even uses children to relay His messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't know me or who I am, but I attend Life Tabernacle Church in Wichita Falls. Bro. Elms is my Pastor. What an amazing story about your son, God even uses children to relay His messages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't know me or who I am, but I attend Life Tabernacle Church in Wichita Falls, and Bro. Elms is my Pastor. What an amazing story about your son. God even uses children to relay His messages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pattiwagon - thank you for dropping by. Please feel free to leave your comments anytime. You have a wonderful pastor and pastor's wife who we highly esteem. Blessings to you and your church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana, this story touches me so deeply! I love it when children come out with things about God and His Word! Thank God for healing your good-looking son! Thank you for your kind comments to "Pattiwagon". She's a sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis Jana,
    I know God uses our children to speak to us and others. It just amazes me sometimes when God speaks thrue my 17 year old. Alot of times I will be talking about something and he will say " Mom you should not be gossiping". Even though I dont feel like I am gossiping, I am just telling him or who ever what happend.
    I guess I need to think more about what I am going to say before I say it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, girls, for dropping by. The rest of the story is this - Our children's ministry directors asked Blake to give his "sermon" at Kidz Church. He took a toy sword to use for illustration. A couple of kids started laughing and Blake stopped, pointed the sword at them, and said in a stern voice, "This is not funny. The Word of God is serious business." The leaders of Kidz Church said a hush came into the room, Blake finished his sermon and they had a wonderful altar service with children crying out to God. As adults we thought this was cute and even laughed because Blake was so young, but I do know the hand of God is upon this child. We have had people prophesy over Blake and say he is going to be used mightily. I don't know what kind of ministry Blake will have, but he is a born leader and such a brilliant kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wonderful! It sounds like you've got a "precious instrument" who is in God's hands to be used for His glory.

    ReplyDelete