Thursday, November 29, 2007

Enough Is Enough

An 87 year old auto worker who came to America 55 years ago, is fighting deportation. Supposedly, the information given on his initial applications in 1952 was not correct. He received citizenship in 1958 and it was revoked in 1981, restored in 1998 and revoked again in 2002. The government initially claimed he was the notoriously sadistic guard at the Treblinka camp known as "Ivan the Terrible." He was extradited to Israel in 1986 and was under a death sentence, until Israel's Supreme Court ruled in 1993 that he was not the same man as the guard known as Ivan. He then returned home to America and his citizenship was restored, again. You may click on the below link for the entire article.
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20071129/D8T7EUA00.html
My question is this - when is enough, enough? This average American does not have a criminal record, has a family he loves, and even after spending seven years in Israel and Israel clearing him, returned to America believing he was home. Now at 87 years of age, someone is again trying to accuse him, this time of being another guard. Who has it in for this man? We have thousands crossing our borders who make no attempt to apply for entrance to America. This is seemingly ignored while thousands of dollars and hours are being spent on a man who tried to do it right and has been tormented for over 30 years by a vacillating government. I say let the 87 year old finish his final years in peace.

10 comments:

  1. Sis. Allard;
    Having been through the Museum of Tolerance in L.A. then a part of my Grandchildren who went through the Holocaust memorial in D.C. I can grasp some of the desire of the Jewish people to bring anyone connected to judgment.
    But I also agree with you, there must be a time of forgiveness and of letting go, sometime somewhere. The idea of a continuing vengeance is not good for a person let alone a nation.
    Those who come across our borders without and desire to fallow or abide by our laws and customs is wrong. Even after having several Multicultural class and numerous papers on the subject. This is our customs, our laws, our traditions. You are welcome, but all we ask is that you assimilate with us!
    Mervi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Filipino/American. My mom's family all came here legally and have been hard working members of society for 45 plus years. They all learned to speak English quickly and fell in love with the freedoms and opportunities of this country. I remember when I was about 10, my grandmother and I were standing in line at the grocery store. My grandmother always had a thick accent, but she spoke and understood English very well. The clerk, because she couldn't understand my grandmother, treated her with utter disrespect - like she was alien from space. I know this is a bit off topic, but this is what I thought about as I read this. One of my greatest fears for my 8 yr old daughter is to have to deal with this stuff. It's not just my grandmother that has been treated that way. I have been born and raised here and I have story after story just like that. My husband is a preacher and once we were told that because I have dark skin (I'm 1/2 Filipino) and my husband has white, we are out of the will of God. That was told to us by pastor's wife. That same pastor's wife told us to be careful where we preach. It has left scars. It is this mentality that keeps these emotions that you write about going strong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - glad you dropped by.

    Mervi - well said. In no way do I want this post to lessen the gravity of the Holocaust, because I believe it was so very wrong. Yet, as you stated, there comes a point in time when one must let go of past hurts in order to heal their wounded spirit. Furthermore, it seems they still can't prove this man did anything wrong. If he is innocent as he claims, then his life has been tortured, too. I also agree with your last sentence. We don't mind immigration, but please don't immigrate to try and turn us into the pitiful country from which you ran.

    Ronda - yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rochelle - I am so sorry for the prejudice you and your family has faced. Even though it is wrong, to a certain degree we expect it from the world. However, when you spoke of how you faced prejudice/racism in the church, I was really incensed. Maybe you should remind that preacher's wife who was so ignorant and rude, that Moses wife was dark skinned. No one can find anything in the Bible to support her position, but there is a huge amount in the Bible that would condemn the way she spoke to you. I hope your scars fade and your daughter never faces anyone like that preacher's wife. Sounds to me like the preacher's wife has never really met or known Jesus, for He is true love and He created a variety of skin color to make the world beautiful.In fact, His word states, "Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." Psalms 133:1 That proves He wanted all of His colors to be together in unity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis Allard - thank you so very much for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jana, Fact is, enough has been enough for years. American jails are filled with people who have committed nonviolent crimes. We nitpick and judge and cause everyone's life to go down. We need to learn how to forgive and get on with life. This old man is an example of our collective stupidity. End of rant!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen - It seems forgiveness has been replaced with vengeance. Despite all our efforts to combat ignorance and stupidity, it continues to thrive. God help us all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree. A grievous story...very sad.

    ReplyDelete