Monday, August 20, 2007

Helps Or Hindrances

Trials, temptations, disappointments -- all these are helps instead of hindrances, if one uses them rightly. They not only test the fibre of a character, but strengthen it. Every conquered temptation represents a new fund of moral energy. Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before.- James Buckham

When I read this quote, I immediately wanted to write about it and share it. I saved it to my drafts thinking I would get around to writing my thoughts, but a month later I still have not written anything. Maybe I should leave it alone or toss it out to you and see what you think about it. Are trials, temptations, disappointments helps or hindrances?

3 comments:

  1. I believe for the Christian, that they are helps, although they may not seem very helpful when we are going through them.

    Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

    I once heard a preacher say that trials will either make you better or bitter. Really, it is all in how we choose to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis. Allard, The key word here is IF. If one uses them rightly! Like Carol said it's how we choose to look at it. We can use them as stumbling blocks or stepping stones. We can either let them make us or break us. The choice is ours. I choose to use them as stepping stones.

    For every trial, temptation and disappointment that comes my way (and believe me I have had my share) I will, with the help of God, step up on top of them and climb on up to the next level. I refuse to let them be stumbling blocks that will hinder me and keep me from being all that I can be.

    When trials, temptations and disappointments come our way, remember this "...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Psalm 30:5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trial are helps. Some trials prepare us for great victories ahead. For this reason, we cannot become frustrated when we are being tested. We simply must trust God to give us the strength to endure.

    ReplyDelete