Sunday, April 1, 2007

Courtesy, Manners, and Such

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.- Erastus Wiman

Do you ever wonder where respect has gone? Whenever I travel across the USA, I am still amazed when I encounter "southern hospitality" and good manners. Living in California has its good points because of all the state has to offer, but there is something missing. Manners, respect, and genuine kindness. Yes, I know there are some good manners, but the majority lacks such qualities. In our house, we expect our children to say, "please," "thank-you," "excuse me," "Ma'am," and "Sir." The above quote caught my attention and caused me to think about courtesy. What's your take on this subject? Do you find courtesy, respect, kindness, and manners in the area you live? Recently, one of my friends had a baby and her mother came to visit from a mid-western state. Her mom was appalled at the lack of manners in our town. Of course, I was embarrassed and wondered, is there anything that can bring change? Is it a parent fault for not teaching manners, is it just society in general, or what? I wish courtesy was common.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jana:

    I've never been to the south, but I have friends from there, and they are quite hospitable. Personally, I feel California has more hospitality than the Midwest where I grew up. About 15 years ago, we were in New York, headed to a wedding in Connecticut. I was appalled by how cold and calloused the New Yorkers were at the bridge tolls. Out in CA, they say thank you when you give them your money, or "Have a nice day." I think a lot of it has to do with where and how you were raised. That can determine your perspective. But I believe as Christians, we should always be kind, courteous and hospitable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manners are lacking everywhere. We teach them in our home but as a public school teacher I have to teach them at school. I teach second grade and the majority of the children don't even know what manners are. I have to teach being considerate to others, thinking of others instead of yourself on top of the yes ma'm and no thank you. People are just to self centered to think of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Karen - you know, I think I wrote this post on a really frustrating day. I think Central California has the least manners and courtesy. Unfortunately, that is where I am. I do believe Christians should be respectful, but the everyday grind of the immoral, disrespectful public gets wearisome at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boullette - thanks for dropping by my blog and adding your perspective. My husband occasionally substitute teaches and it is amazing how the majority of students are clueless to the use of manners. Manners breed respect. If parents would teach better manners, we would have a more respectful society. I admire you for teaching and hope they will increase your pay. Why is it that a guy who throws a ball around gets paid millions and the very person who molds our children is lucky to get $60,000 a year?!?!?! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sis. Allard! I just wanted to say hi, although I seen you this morning lol, and say I love you!!! I'm going to send your blog page to my mom so she can read this. She'll get a kick out of the subject lol. The pics of the kids are too sweet. I do have to say northern people are very different. I would have to say from my experience they are cold. Maybe it's because they think they have to be like the temperature. : ) But the church people were very friendly. Of course that was 20 something years ago so things may have changed, who knows.

    Ps Don't post this I just wanted to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sis. Allard! I just wanted to say hi,and say I love you!!! I do have to say northern people are very different. I would have to say from my experience they are cold. Maybe it's because they think they have to be like the temperature. : ) But the church people were very friendly. Of course that was 20 something years ago so things may have changed, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Anonymous - thanks for dropping by and leaving your thoughts on this subject.

    ReplyDelete